Marine Business Development and Account Manager
Open PositionLocation: Houston, TX, South Florida, South California, and Alpharetta, GA
The Marine Business Development and Account Manager works to improve the organization’s market position and achieve financial growth in the marine market segment. The position is responsible for marine related market research, strategy definition, marketing activity, proposal management, securing final contract with customers, and account management within marine accounts. This person understands and supports long-term organizational strategic goals, manages Opportunity to Cash (O2C) sales cycle, builds key customer relationships, identifies business opportunities, negotiates and closes business deals and maintains extensive knowledge of current market conditions including and not limited to technology, Competitors, existing Customers and regulation in the industry and Governments.
This position is responsible for marketing and sales of the Vericor marine gas turbine product line to the worldwide military and commercial marine propulsion and offshore power generation market.
He/she must develop a rapport with new clients and set targets for sales and provide support that will continually improve the relationship. He/she is also required to grow and retain existing accounts by presenting new solutions and services to clients. The Marine Business Development and Account Manager works with mid and senior level management, marketing, and technical staff. He/she may manage the activities of others responsible for developing business for the company. Strategic planning is a key part of this job description, since it is the business manager’s responsibility to develop the pipeline of new business coming in to the company. This requires a thorough knowledge of the market, the solutions/services the company can provide, and of the company’s competitors.
New Business Development
- Retain current market and expand Vericor marine market portfolio.
- Investigate and identify potential clients, and the decision makers within the client organization, prospecting for potential new clients and turn this into increased business.
- Maintain knowledge of the worldwide potential customer market and technology utilized for the Vericor marine product.
- Maintain relationships with shipyards, naval architects and other industry professionals to ensure that Vericor products are regularly considered for all potential applications.
- Conduct pro-active marketing campaigns to identify and target potential programs, customers and applications in advance of requirements definition to allow influence of requirements.
- Screen inquiries from potential customers and prepare appropriate responses
- Prepare for and conduct bid/no bid and proposal approval meetings with the management team.
- Manage the capture strategy process with the cross functional Vericor team including engineering, program management, supply chain, quality and the executive team.
- Provide sales forecasts for strategic planning input in the marine market segment. Provide market assessments and strategic overviews as requested.
- Participate in and conduct marketing and business development activities to enhance awareness of the product in the marketplace including advertising, trade show recommendation, participation and management, conference participation and other industry group activities leading to increased market awareness and product interest in the marketplace.
- Manage relationship with international sales agents including selection of, providing direction to and overall management of their sales activity.
- Present new products and services and enhance existing relationships.
- Work with technical staff and other internal colleagues to meet customer needs.
- Arrange and participate in internal and external client debriefs.
Business Development Planning
- Attend industry functions, such as association events and conferences, and provide feedback and information on market and creative trends.
- Present to and consult with mid and senior level management on business trends with a view to developing new services, products, and distribution channels.
- Identify opportunities for campaigns, services, and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in sales.
- Using knowledge of the market and competitors, identify and develop the company’s unique selling propositions and differentiators.
Management and Research
- Submit weekly progress reports and ensure data is accurate.
- Ensure that data is accurately entered and managed within the company’s sales management system.
- Forecast sales targets and ensure they are met by the team.
- Track and record activity on accounts and help to close deals to meet these targets.
- Work with marketing staff to ensure that prerequisites (like prequalification or getting on a vendor list) are fulfilled within a timely manner.
- Ensure all team members represent the company in the best light.
- Present business development training and mentoring to business developers and other internal staff.
- Research and develop a thorough understanding of the company’s people and technical capabilities.
- Understand the company’s goal and purpose to continually enhance the company’s performance.
- Manage the assigned key accounts portfolio.
- Achieve assigned strategic account objectives.
- Establish strong, long-term client relationships.
- Communicate with major clients on a regular basis and respond to specific queries.
- Suggest solutions and innovative ideas to meet client needs.
- Handle complaints and problems with the key accounts portfolio in a timely and effective manner.
- Act as the liaison between key customers and internal teams.
- Identify and approach new potential strategic customers.
- Monitor sales performance metrics.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports and forecasts.
- Bachelor of Science degree in an associated engineering field.
- 10-15 years learned expertise in gas turbines and gas turbine packages utilized in marine propulsion or power generation, mechanical drive systems utilizing gas turbines and/or reciprocating engines.
- Deep technical understanding of gas turbines of marine propulsion marketplace and products, their applications, and associated plant equipment.
- Understanding and experience in the marine design and implementation of complex support systems.
- Understanding of contractual language and requirements.
- High level of energy, creativity and willingness to work hard. Used to task accountability and team working.
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills
- Networking, Persuasion, Prospecting, Public Speaking.
- Formal sales training covering Closing Skills, Motivation for Sales, Prospecting Skills, Sales Planning, Identification of Customer Needs and Challenges, Territory Management, Market Knowledge, Meeting Sales Goals.
- Recommendation letters from previous employers and/or Customers
- Microsoft Office (including Project and Visio).
- 10 years of varying experience in the proposing and execution of complex projects.
- Demonstrated success at managing a matrix type organization within tight time constraints.
- Project engineering and/or project management skills.
- Experience in the design and implementation of complex support systems for gas turbine and associated products in the marine market.
- Experience with contract management.
- Other languages (i.e., Chinese, Indian, Russian, Arabic, Portuguese, German, Italian, Turkish).